Your cooperation with our boarding and riding tips helps to keep our service running smoothly and our Operators and riders safe.
The Big Blue Bus makes your safety our priority while boarding, riding and disembarking our vehicles. Our fleet includes many safety features, including: interior lighting; hand rails and straps; automatic front and rear door brakes; throttle interlocks; fire suppression and methane sensing systems; and on-board cameras.
- For your safety and the safety of others, if the bus is already pulling away from the curb when you get to your stop, wait for the next bus to arrive. Operators are prohibited from allowing riders to board once the bus is moving.
- Please wait at a designated bus stop in order to be picked up. To ensure the Operator sees you, remain on the sidewalk near the bus sign approximately two feet away from the curb. Signal the Operator by waving your hand. Gather your belongings while the bus is approaching.
- If more than one bus pulls up at the stop at the same time, approach the bus you wish to board. Each bus will stop only once at the stop, and will not wait to pull forward when the front bus departs. If the bus doesn't stop, it is likely already at capacity or out-of-service. Please be patient and wait for the next bus.
- Please have your fare or transfer ready to insert, swipe, tap or show to the Operator upon boarding.
- If you have a question for the Operator as you board, please be as brief as possible. If you have a question you forget to ask when boarding, wait until the Operator comes to a complete stop before asking your question.
- After you've paid/shown your fare, please move to the rear of the bus. Seats in the front of the bus should be saved /given to riders with mobility challenges.
- Please remain seated whenever possible. If you're standing, remain behind the standee safety line and keep a firm grip on a handrail or strap at all times.
- Children should be seated at all times.
- Please keep the aisle clear of personal articles.
- Watch your step when exiting the bus.